Craps online is a dice game in which players make wagers on what the roll will be either in terms of the outcome of a roll, or a series of rolls, of a pair of dice. It has indeed become a legendary casino game which has a very distinct image in gambling lore. Certainly, it has been a staple in land-based casinos for many years, but it has also gathered steam as a casino game online, although it takes on a bit of a different character.
The origins of the game are disputed, with various cultures claiming it as their creation. Here are a few claims to the origins below:
- There is a legend that it was created by Roman soldiers who made the dice out of the knuckle bones of a pig and used their shields as a table.
- Some claim it originates from an Arabic dice game called Al Dar (meaning dice) which merchants imported to Europe in the 12th
- On the other hand, some claim it was the invention of Sir William of Tyre. It’s believed that he created it in 1125 during the era of the Crusades. It’s thought to have been Asart or Hazarth; later called Hazard. This is the most commonly accepted version.
Believing that Sir William of Tyre created craps, Hazard became extremely popular in 17th century French taverns. They called the game crapaud (meaning toad) in reference to the original play style where players would squat or crouch over a floor or sidewalk to play. The English name craps is a spinoff of this word.
Let’s take a look at craps and what you need to know to play it online.
Best Craps Casino Sites USA
Find some great craps games at our top casino sites. We’ve reviewed and ranked them as the most trustworthy and reliable sites to play at.
What you’ll find on this craps online page:
Craps is a game that has had appeal to both the high-roller and the low-roller. It’s designed to bring people together for an entertaining time. It is communal in nature, and as a result, it is, by and large, the loudest game you’re likely to find in a casino. Indeed, there is probably nothing duller in a land-based casino than a relatively empty craps table. In this game, as it is played in a brick and mortar setting, you are going to place bets and root for someone else.
Actually, casinos tend to encourage a loud craps game. Like the sound of jackpots going off at slot machines that are stationed in strategic locations in the casino, noise at a craps table tends to attract people. However, the situation is a bit different when playing at the a US online casino.
- For one thing, you are in your living room or bedroom, and there are no other players around. You are, for the most part, the only player.
- Unless of course, you find yourself in a multi-player game which is an option at casino sites.
This doesn’t mean that your game craps will be any less inviting when it is online. Since excitement naturally comes with winning, you can create about as much excitement as you want when playing this game.
Playing craps seem easy enough but all the stuff around it that you have to familiarize yourself with is a bit tricky. In fact, if you are a newcomer to the game of craps, you are going to find that there is a lot for you to find out, study and digest, and then a lot to experience after that. The lingo alone is complex and it’s not something you can master overnight. In the space allotted we couldn’t possibly explain everything about the game.
Beginners Guide to Learning About Craps
Let’s briefly go over the important aspects of learning how to play craps:
- A good place to start would be to learn about the percentages that are associated with the different combinations of the dice that can possibly be rolled in a craps game. For example, it is critical to know that there are six ways for a seven to be rolled: with a one and a six, a two and a five and a three and a four. That’s six times out of 36 possible combinations, which means the odds against it being rolled are 5-to-1.
- You might also want to familiarize yourself with the likelihood of one combination being rolled before another. This is because of the fact that you will have to work it into your rationale of what to bet and when to bet it.
- Furthermore, the procedure that is used in this game is obviously also going to be important. The “shooter” rolls the dice and makes the point on the “come-out” bet. Then the game proceeds from there.
- You’re going to have to learn, over the course of time, how to make all the bets, and also the fact that some bets are better percentage plays then others.
Take it slow, play at our recommended casinos in free demo mode to practice, and you could eventually become an expert player!
Check out our other guides on casino games: