Recently updated on May 20th, 2019
Craps online is a dice game in which players make wagers on what the roll will be either in terms of the outcome of a roll. It has indeed become a legendary casino game that has a very distinct image in gambling lore. Certainly, it has been a staple in land-based casinos for many years, but it has also gathered steam as a casino game online using a random number generator.
The origins of the table game are disputed, with various cultures claiming it as their creation. Here are a few claims to the origins below:
- There is a legend that it was created by Roman soldiers who made the dice out of the knucklebones of a pig and used their shields as a table.
- Some claim it originates from an Arabic dice game called Al Dar (meaning dice) which merchants imported to Europe in the 12th
- On the other hand, some claim it was the invention of Sir William of Tyre. It’s believed that he created it in 1125 during the era of the Crusades. It’s thought to have been Asart or Hazarth; later called Hazard. This is the most commonly accepted version.
Believing that Sir William of Tyre created craps, Hazard became extremely popular in 17th-century French taverns. They called the game crapaud (meaning toad) in reference to the original play style where players would squat or crouch over a floor or sidewalk to play. The English name craps is a spinoff of this word.
Let’s take a look at craps and what you need to know to play at an online casino site.
Best Craps Online Casino Sites
How Craps Online Gambling Works
Craps is a game that has had appeal to both the high-roller and the low-roller. It’s designed to bring people together for an entertaining time. It is communal in nature, and as a result, it is, by and large, the loudest game you’re likely to find in a casino.
Indeed, there is probably nothing duller in a land-based casino than a relatively empty craps table. In this game, as it is played in a brick and mortar setting, you are going to place bets and root for someone else.
Actually, casinos tend to encourage a loud craps game. Like the sound of jackpots going off at slot machines that are stationed in strategic locations in the casino, noise at a craps table tends to attract people. However, the situation is a bit different when playing at a US online casino.
- For one thing, you are in your living room or bedroom, and there are no other players around. You are, for the most part, the only player.
- Unless of course, you find yourself in a multi-player game which is an option at casino sites.
This doesn’t mean that your game craps will be any less inviting when it is online. Since excitement naturally comes with winning, you can create about as much excitement as you want when playing this game. Here’s what you need to look out for when choosing a craps casino.
Top Craps Payouts
Looking for a craps game that will pay out higher per wager makes financial sense. So, for example, a payout percentage, or return to player (RTP) rate at 98% means that you’ll get $98 for every $100 you wager over a period of time. Look for the payout percentage on our casino table above.
Craps Betting Systems
Because bets at a craps table take place in two phases, it’s important to find real money craps online that clearly tell you which bets are allowed when. This is the sign of a great casino site as most sites don’t make it so apparent.
Other Features to Look Out For
To identify a legitimate craps casino, there are other signs to look out for when choosing a craps game online. These include:
- An eCOGRA seal of fairness.
- Fast and easy banking options.
- Friendly and efficient customer support.
- Positive reviews at third party gambling sites and forums.
- SSL certification and security measures like encryption software.
- Verifiable licensing and regulation information.
Craps Online Practice – How to Play
However fun and thrilling craps at a land-based casino may be, waiting for a spot at the table isn’t. This is the advantage of playing craps online for real money – no waiting. Simply sign up to a top US online casino and go to a craps game. Once you’ve found your game you’ll be required to do the following:
- To start the game, place your bet.
- Then shoot your first roll of the dice. This is known as the come-out roll.
- Land a 7 or 11, every pass line bet on the craps table wins.
- If the dice roll a 2, 3, or a 12, all pass line bets lose.
- Any other number represented on the dice becomes the point number.
The second roll
- If a point is rolled with the pair of dice, the shooter must roll that point again before they can roll a 7.
- Then, every pass line bet wins in that situation.
- Craps occur when a player rolls a 12.
- The game continues until a 7 number is rolled.
- After that, all bets are paid out.
Here are some craps rules you need to know before you can really start playing the game.
- Any Craps: place this bet if you think a 2, 3, or 12 will be rolled next.
- Any Seven: if you think the next roll will be a 7 then you put your money on this section.
- Craps: this also happens to refer to when you roll a 2, 3, or 12. If these are rolled in the come-out roll, the game ends.
- Come: a come bet is usually placed after the come out roll. You’re betting that the dice will pass.
- Don’t Come: here you’re betting that the dice won’t pass.
- Pass Line: placing a bet here signifies that you think the dice will win i.e. the shooter will roll a 7 or 11 during the come-out roll. Alternatively, the shooter will roll their point number before getting an 11 during the point phase.
- Don’t Pass Line: with this one you’re betting that the shooter will roll a 7 before the point.
- Field: this bet lets you pick a number you think will be rolled. You can wager on 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, or 12.
- Place Bets: if you get any of these numbers before a 7 your bet wins: 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, or 10.
- 6:8: it’s much like a field bet on 6 or 8. This one is considered a sucker’s bet in terms of strategizing.
- Hardways: here you’re wagering on whether the shooter will roll a 4, 6, 8, or 10 as a pair before it comes up as a non-pair.
Online Craps Strategy – Best Way to Win at Craps
Apart from using it to entertain yourself, playing craps online is also about winning. Whether you’re playing for fun or playing online craps real money walking away from the table a winner is exciting. There are different ways you can play to maximize your chances of winning at the craps table. Here are some craps online expert tips to help you win:
- Avoid the 6:8 Bet: stay away from placing your money on the Big 6 or Big 8 corner of the craps table. Even though the bet pays out even money, you’ll have to roll a 6 or an 8 before a 7 on the come out roll. Much rather go for the Place bet on 6 or 8 which not only has a lower house edge but a higher payout as well.
- Try the 3 Point Molly System: looking to make proper money off craps? Try using the 3 Point Molly System which gives you three numbers in your corner, working for you on every bet.
- Stick with the Pass Line: the most common bet on a craps table, they also come with a low house edge.
- Finally, avoid proposition bets: these may be tempting but steer clear from them. They have a high house edge.
Craps v Roulette Odds
There are a number of odds bets to choose from when playing craps online. Use our handy guide below to help you pick the right betting options for you.
|Craps Bet||House Edge||Pays|
|Don’t Pass (Don’t Come)||1.36%||1:1|
|The Odds||0%||2:1 on 4 and 10; 3:2 on 5 and 9; 6:5 on 6 and 8|
|Laying the Odds||0%||1:2 against 4 and 10; 2:3 against 5 and 9; 5:6 against 6 and 8|
|Place||1.52% on 6 and 8; 4% on 5, and 9; 6.67% on 4 and 10||6:5 on 6 and 8; 3:2 on 5 and 9; 2:1 on 4 and 10|
|Lay||4% on 6 and 8; 3.23% on 5 and 9; 2.44% on 4 and 10||Reverse of place bets|
|Big 6 and 8||9.09%||1:1|
|Field||2.78%||1:1 except 2 (2:1) and 12 (3:1)|
|3 or 11||11.11%||15:1|
|Hard||13.89% on 2 and 12; 11.11% on 4 and 10; 9.09% on 6 and 8||30:1 on 2 and 12; 7:1 on 4 and 10; 9:1 on 6 and 8|
Craps Online With Friends
Let’s take a look at the differences between playing craps offline with friends vs playing online craps games:
- Playing craps online is much faster than offline at a casino. Furthermore, you get to control things like re-betting, animations, and sound effects.
- For an even faster game, there’s a turbo function which skips showing you the dice roll. This option is not available offline as you have to throw the dice and wait for the bets to be collected.
- When playing at an offline craps table, the minimum bet amount is between US$5 to US$10. On the other hand, craps online minimum bets start at USD1. The craps software also keeps track of your bets so you don’t have to worry about being cheated.
- The atmosphere at home is a lot different from an offline craps table. You can play anywhere you want in whatever you want.
- The best thing about playing online is that you can practice playing the dice game to improve your skills. You can play a free craps game on the demo version of the game or using casino bonuses when you sign up as a new player.
- Finally, there’s no waiting for a spot to open at a craps table. Since it’s such a popular game, it tends to draw a lot of players which equals waiting time.
Best Craps Mobile App
Online casino software developers are dedicating themselves to creating mobile device compatible games. This means that casinos can provide you with internet games you can access on your phone or tablet. The craps app is getting better and better and is being developed using HTML5. This means that you don’t have to have Flash to play the game.
Play Craps Online Live
The best USA casino sites will offer live craps online. This combines the thrill of playing at a real craps table (via live streaming) and the comfort of playing at home. Players interact with the dealer via live chat. Take it slow, play at our recommended casinos in free demo mode to practice, and you could eventually become an expert player!
Online Craps Real Money FAQs
Yes, you can play online craps for money at any licensed and regulated casino website. The online casino game accepts deposits to fund the player’s account to make bets on the dice roll. The money is converted into coins to play games and upon winning, you can get real cash prizes.
You can find top craps casinos that we’ve reviewed and recommend for players on our shortlist. The top-rated casinos to play craps games are:
- BoVegas Casino
- Bovada Casino
- Ignition Casino
- Planet 7 Casino
- Irish Luck Casino
The best strategy is betting the don’t come and don’t pass wager at the table minimum bet. These bets have the lowest house edge in the craps game and will not require a substantial bankroll to complete.
The come bet is similar to the pass line bet in that a player bets on the outcome of the first roll pointing to either 7 or 11 to win. If the dice roll lands on any other number, the bet will be moved into a secondary point. Players will lose when any of the craps numbers 2, 3, or 12 becomes the outcome of the dice roll.
Craps players win by making the right prediction of the dice roll, either to come out or don’t come out. If the outcome of the dice roll is 7 or 11, the player will be credited with a win. They can have another turn to roll the dice until they get the same number or crap out.
The Don’t Pass bet is a wager that shooter will not land a 7 or 11 on the first roll. It is the opposite of the Pass bet.
The safest bet in the craps game is the pass bet or the come bet with a low house edge of 1.41%. This bet suggests that the shooter will not land 2, 3, or 12. You win if the player lands 7 or 11, paying out even money.
Check out our other guides on casino games: