Online blackjack can offer the same thrill it can when you play it in a land-based casino, and players who exercise good strategy, money management, and some judgment will get some fun out of the game. Anyone looking to add a little more spice to their game can find a number of versions of the game to enjoy. Blackjack is a terrific game that represents a confrontation of sorts between the player and the house. And there is no wonder that it has a great following in land-based casinos everywhere. The principles behind the game are pretty easy to understand – get the hand value of 21. It is also a game that, in many ways, contains equal parts skill and will.
When you’re in a land-based casino, the game is semi-social. When you are playing blackjack online, it is usually a heads-up situation where you are competing against the random number generator (RNG) or the house. Furthermore, in an online game, you can usually play multiple hands at once. Because of the computer program at work, the online blackjack game experiences a random shuffle after every round, which is different to playing at the land-based casino.
Let’s take a look at how online blackjack works.
Best Blackjack Casino Sites USA
What you’ll find in this online blackjack guide:
- Blackjack History
- How to Play Online Blackjack USA
- Online Blackjack Rules
- Blackjack Card Values
- Tips & Strategies for Online Blackjack
The first written reference to blackjack was found in a 1601 book by Spanish author Miguel de Cervantes. Back then it was known as twenty-one, and a character in Cervantes’ book was good at cheating at veintiuna (Spanish for twenty-one).
Finally, when twenty-one was introduced to America, it had bonus payouts to attract players. It adopted the name blackjack after a hand in the game. Over the decades, blackjack has drawn the intrigue of mathematicians. They were trying to come up with optimal blackjack strategies. One such was unveiled in 1956 when a paper titled The Optimum Strategy in Blackjack which is now the foundation of all sound efforts to beat the game.
Learning how to play online blackjack is a fundamental for any US player looking to make money off the game. Playing 21 requires a mix of luck, strategy, and concentration. Firstly, the aim of the game is to get as close to 21 as possible before the dealer. Since you’ll be playing online, there aren’t any other players there with you, Let’s take a look as the basic steps below:
- The dealer (computer) gives out two cards, to you and themselves.
- Then, one of the dealer’s cards – the up card – is placed face up; the face down card is the hole card.
- Once you’ve looked at your cards and compared them to the dealer’s up card, you can decide to:
- Stand: if you’re happy with your hand, you can choose not to take anymore cards.
- Hit: this is asking for more cards until you’ve reached 21 or over (gone bust).
- Double down: if you’re very confident with your hand, double your bet and only take one more card only.
- Surrender: this move is used if you feel as if you’ve got a losing hand. You’ll lose half the bet amount and can only be used played on your first two cards and not after you hit.
- Split: use this action to split two cards of the same value, making a hand that doubles your bet.
Online blackjack has simple rules that are easy to follow. Memorize them to help improve your game:
- As mentioned earlier, the whole aim of blackjack is to get to 21 by using the value of the cards in your hand.
- The game ends when either the dealer or the player surrenders or busts. Otherwise, the person with the closest to 21 wins.
- A hand made up of a 10 and an Ace is called a blackjack.
Check out what each card in online blackjack is means:
- Numbered Cards 2 to 9: keep the same value as their number
- Face Cards Jack, Queen, and King: each of their value is 10.
- Ace: dependent on the player, its value is either 1 or 11.
Because of it’s immense popularity as a not only a casino game, there are many tips and strategies for winning at blackjack out there. Because our online blackjack guide is written with the beginner in mind, let’s take a look at some general important strategies.
- Memorizing the rules and card values will make you a more skilled player that’s able to quickly make decisions.
- Rather focus on beating the dealer than getting 21.
- Factor in the dealer’s up card into any play decision.
- Generally, always hit on a hard eight or less.
- On the other hand, always split Aces and two eights.
- If you don’t want to double down, stand on 18.
- Furthermore, if the dealer’s card shows seven or less, stand on a 17.
- Hit if your hand is between 12 and 16, and if the dealer has seven or higher.
- Set a limit on your bankroll and stick with it.
- Finally, never play while intoxicated as it impedes your judgement.
Online blackjack offers you the convenience of being able to finding the game you want when you want it. In terms of the setup of the game itself, at most USA online casinos if you are playing a variation, the rules will be very easy to find and read. Just take a look at them, download the game, make the adjustments to size, speed and sound, and click “Deal.” You’ll be prompted to Hit, Stand, Double or Split, and the rest is as easy as it could be. The graphics in online casinos are so strong that you’ll be looking at a layout that isn’t much different than what you’ll find at a “real” blackjack table.
Furthermore, regardless of the casino software supplier, you’ll see multiple variations of blackjack, and depending on where you go, they’ll have names like:
- Perfect Pairs
- Double Exposure
- Face-Up 21
- European blackjack
- Vegas Strip blackjack
- Atlantic City blackjack
- Spanish 21 and more.
Check out our other casino games guides: