Online roulette is a simple game at its very essence. It requires you to wager on a number, or series of numbers, with the hopes of the white ball landing on it. Furthermore, everyone has some idea of what a roulette wheel looks like, whether from the movies, internet, or at a USA land-based casino. It’s got numbers from one through to 36, along with a zero and/or double zero depending on which version you’re playing.
Real money roulette online is often available in two formats – as an automated virtual game where you play against a random number generator (RNG). Or, in a live-dealer version where you play against an actual croupier via live-streaming. Either way you choose to play, online roulette is a popular US casino game that requires skill and a bit of luck. So, pick your favorite casino site for USA players, login or sign up, and get that wheel spinning. Read to find out more about real money online roulette in the US.
Best US Online Roulette Casino Sites
What you’ll find in this online roulette guide:
- Best Online Roulette Site: What to Expect
- Roulette: How to Play for Real Money
- Real Money Roulette Bets
- Online Roulette Variations
- Best Strategy in Roulette USA
- Online Roulette Tips
- Real Money Online Roulette FAQs
Everybody has a certain image about online roulette. However, the idea people tend to have is that it has an intimidating atmosphere should be dismissed as online roulette, especially the virtual version with an RNG caters to those looking for a stress-free experience. When you look at the roulette games online which are produced by casino software designers, the layout looks very much like the layout you’d encounter at a “real” USA casino. Furthermore, the wheel spins just as it would in a physical casino as well. The ball will land in a slot and that determines whether you win or not depending on what your bets are.
Let’s take a look at what US players can expect from our top online roulette sites:
- Online roulette welcome bonuses: judging by the sheer volume of casino sites online vying for your patronage, most offer generous welcome bonuses to catch your attention. Our top-rated USA sites offer dedicated promotions and bonuses for the roulette table.
- Safe and secure real money roulette online: we only recommend USA casinos online that use the latest SSL encryption technology. This means that third-parties can’t steal and use your personal information. As it goes with fair gaming, games from top licensed casinos use RNGs to ensure that the roulette outcomes are always random.
- Play free roulette or real money online roulette: when signing up to the best USA real money casinos online, you’ll find that digital roulette games come in two modes – free demo mode and real money mode. It’s recommended that when you come across an internet roulette game you’ve never played before, try it out in free mode to test it out and see if you like the gameplay. Also, you can use it to practice playing roulette online. Once you’re confident with your skills and/or you like the game, make a deposit into your casino account and play the game to win some USD.
- Best online roulette software: expect to find roulette games developed by industry leaders in casino games software at our top casino sites. They feature roulette titles by top companies like Realtime Gaming (RTG), BetSoft, Playtech, and NetEnt among others. These have high quality graphics, fast gameplay, and great sound design. They are also regularly tested to ensure fairness.
- Top roulette odds: any US roulette online casino that’s worthwhile will offer games with competitive payout percentages, return to player (RTP) rates, and take as small a cut as possible from your bet. Doing this give you, the player, better odds.
- Mobile roulette gaming: finally, there’s mobile roulette gaming. Most players are now moving from their desktops to their mobile phones. Our recommended US roulette casinos have made their sites compatible with most mobile devices, enabling easy access through its web browser. On the other hand, some have created dedicated casino apps that you can download.
Whether you’re playing free online roulette or to win some US$, how you play this casino game is the same. Sign-up to your preferred casino site and then follow our easy step-by-step guide:
- Step 1: Navigate to the games lobby of the casino and select the roulette game you want to play.
- Step 2: Select either free demo mode or real money mode. The gameplay will be the same. However, the only difference is that you win money in real money mode.
- Step 3: Set the chip size that you want to bet with. This is an indicator of the amount of US dollars you want to bet with every time you play.
- Step 4: Click on the table layout to place your bet. There are various bet types you can select and we’ll explore them below.
- Step 5: Then click on the “Spin” button once you’ve placed your bets. The dealer – also known as the croupier – which is the computer software spins the wheel and the ball drop in.
- Step 6: The wheel stops and the ball will land in a pocket. If it falls into the correct spot, your bet wins.
- Step 7: Here you collect your winnings and you can then begin again at Step 3.
Interested in learning how to play roulette? Use our comprehensive guide to learn how to play roulette.
Knowing which bet to go for is an important part of playing roulette. Whether you’re playing a free roulette game or real money roulette online, it’s important to know which bets payout more. Let’s take a look at the different bets you’ll find on an online roulette table and what the roulette odds of winning are.
Online Roulette Bet Types
- Straight Up: placing a bet on a single number.
- Split: betting on two numbers.
- Street: placing a bet on three numbers in a row.
- Corners: bet covers four numbers.
- Basket: a bet that covers 1, 2, 3, and both zeros (on an American roulette wheel).
- Line: covers six numbers in two rows.
- Column: placing a bet that covers the row with 12 numbers.
- Dozen: placing a bet on the first 12 numbers.
- Low Number: bet covers the numbers between 1 and 18.
- High Number: this bet covers the numbers between 19 and 36.
- Red/Black: covers either red or black numbers.
Roulette Odds USA
Note that these roulette odds are for American roulette.
|Numbers to Bet on||Odds||Payout|
|0, 00, or and single number||37:1||35:1|
|0 and 00, or any two adjacent numbers||18:1||17:1|
|Any three numbers||1.557:1||11:1|
|Any four numbers in a block||8.5:1||8:1|
|0, 00, 1, 2, and 3||5.33:1||6:1|
|Column bet, dozen bet||2.157:1||2:1|
|Odd, even, red, black, 1 to 18, 19 to 36||1.111:1||1:1|
Looking at the odds, you’re more likely to win a bet if you wager on a single number than winning 18 numbers.
There are a number of versions of real money online roulette game that are found at most casino sites. Let’s take a look at them below.
In the American version of online roulette, the wheel has both a zero and a double-zero pocket. Therefore, this makes the roulette odds of winning lower and increases the house edge.
- The chance of each of the numbers from one to 36 coming out on a spin of the wheel is lower.
- Numbers have less of a chance of appearing and, as a result, wagers in this game (whether they are individual numbers or “even money” bets) are going to be less of a value to the player.
- Also, comparatively, American roulette has a higher house edge. It’s at 7.89% compared to European roulette which has a 2.70% house edge.
European Roulette and French Roulette
In the European version of online roulette, the wheel only has only a single zero pocket. The French version also has the same layout but the gameplay is slightly different. Additionally, with European roulette:
- There’s a higher chance of landing on a number because there’s only one zero pocket.
- Wagers on individual numbers or “even money” bets are worth pursuing.
- The house edge is lower at 2.70% while American roulette’s house edge is at 7.89%.
Real Money 3D Roulette
The only difference between normal online roulette and 3D roulette is that the 3D version is fully immersive. Software developers of this version use the highest quality graphics to create a 3D internet casino game that’s very realistic. US players can find both the American roulette wheel and the European roulette.
Mini roulette is a great casino game to start off on if you’re new to playing roulette. As the name suggests, the game is a smaller compact version of the game. In mini roulette you get:
- Only 12 numbers to choose from as opposed to the traditional 36. Additionally, there’s a single zero.
- If you lose your bet to the zero pocket, you get half your bet back.
- The probability of winning money is much lower compared to other versions.
Real Money Live Dealer Roulette Online
This version of online roulette gives players the real-life casino experience from the comfort of their own home. How live dealer online roulette works is that the US player uses a digital interface to place bets and chat to the croupier. The dealer running the game, along with the roulette wheel, are being live streamed.
While online roulette may essentially be a game of chance, there are a few strategies players can use to increase their odds. Some are good for high rollers; others are designed to shield you from making very risky moves. We’ll take a brief look at some of the top roulette strategies, known as systems, used when playing this casino game.
- D’Alembert System: known as a negative progression system, you double your bet whenever you lose until you win. However, you bet on even money bets and keep the bets the same as long as you are winning.
- Fibonacci System: this roulette strategy uses the mathematical sequence it’s named after. It is a favorite with experienced roulette players. The Fibonacci system, once you remember the sequence, is easy to use. Using the sequence when playing online roulette, each number represents betting units i.e. the amount of USD you’re betting.
- Labouchere System: this is a less aggressive version of the Martingale system. However, it’s still a complicated strategy because of its rules. It involves quite a bit of math where you set a goal, divide it into a series of smaller numbers that add up to that goal.
- Martingale System: this is one of the oldest and well-known strategies. It basically involves you doubling your bet every time you lose. Therefore, the reasoning goes, when you eventually win, you’ll recover all the money you’ve previously lost along with some profit off the original bet. However, this is one of those systems that need US players to have a very large bankroll.
- Paroli System: this is known as a positive progression system where you double your bet after every win (vs. doubling when you lose). It’s easy to learn and simple to use. US players double their bets if they win until they achieve three consecutive wins.
Here are some top tips for online roulette USA players. These will help you with having the best experience playing this internet casino game.
- Don’t bet more than your bankroll can handle. Smart money management will keep you playing longer. The golden rule here is that you shouldn’t spend more than 10% of your bankroll on a bet.
- Try going for the French/European roulette option if it’s available. This one has the lowest house edge and increased odds of winning because it doesn’t have the additional double zero pocket.
- Learn the table layout and where the bets are placed. If you’re unfamiliar with them, play free online roulette to learn without losing any money.
- Avoid certain roulette strategies like the Martingale system which require players to chase their losses. You’ll end up losing more money at the end of the day.
Is real money roulette online rigged?
No, it isn’t. Licenses and regulate casino sites are consistently audited and their games are tested for fairness. They also make use of random number generators (RNG) to run the virtual online roulette games. This makes sure that the outcomes are completely randomized.
Is online roulette legal?
Yes, playing roulette online is legal. US players can play at both offshore real money casino sites and online casinos in the United States.
Does roulette have a strategy?
Yes, roulette has a number of strategies. While they may help you increase your odds of winning, a win isn’t guaranteed.
How can I win roulette online casino?
Firstly, you must practice playing the game. This can be done by playing free online roulette. Try out different strategies and bets until you find one that you’re comfortable with. Then, when you’re ready, switch to real money online roulette mode to start winning some US$.
What do I need to play online roulette?
You’ll need a computer or mobile device and a stable internet connection. If you’re planning on playing for real money, then you’ll need to select a deposit method so you can put money into your casino account.
Check out our guides on other casino games: